Aboriginal people from the Cabrogal tribe, a sub-group of the Gandangara tribe, have lived in the Fairfield area for more than 30,000 years. Captain Arthur Phillip visited Prospect Hill, which looked out over the Wetherill Park area, in 1788. Soon afterwards the first settlers in the Fairfield district set up their homes just a little north of the present school site at Wetherill Park. One hundred years ago, there were not enough homes in this suburb to need a school. However, with the commencement of the Prospect Reservoir Waterworks, a change occurred. A local storekeeper, Samuel Booth, made available a section of his land, free of charge, for the school. The first school, known as “Macquarie Park”, was opened in May 1882 with 8 children. In June 1882, the school became known as “Boothtown” because of Samuel Booth’s involvement in the establishment of the school. Later, in 1884, the name was changed to Reservoir Public School. In 1896, it became the Wetherill Park Public School. Wetherill was a businessman who offered 21 acres of his property to the State government as a park. The offer was accepted and the park was named after the donor.
Source: Vance George: Fairfield – A History of the District, Fairfield City Council, NSW, Australia, 1991, Wetherill Park Public School Centenary, 1982, Globe
Click on Wetherill above