COVID-19 Council Update
30 March, 2020
As always, Council’s commitment remains to ensure the health and safety of residents while also providing access to the services you need.
Services remaining OPEN
- Customer service centre
- Waste collection operations
- Early childhood centres
These services will remain open for now, and we have stepped up our hygiene procedures and are practising social distancing at these locations to ensure your health and wellbeing.
We will advise the community of any further changes to these services as they are made
Changes to Council's services, events and workshops
We are working hard to play our part in slowing the spread of Coronavirus by increasing the cleaning of public amenities and following the advice of NSW Health and the Federal Government. Unfortunately Council has needed to indefinitely postpone a number of our events and change the way we deliver some of our services.
Events postponed indefinitely:
- Cabramatta Lunar New Year festival
- Bring It On! youth festival
- Living Cultures at Fairfield City Museum & Gallery
- Cabramatta East Community Fun Day
- Volunteer/carer celebration event
- Easter Bunny visits at Fairfield City Centre, Cabramatta, Canley Heights and Canley Vale town centres
- Mother's Day visits at Fairfield City Centre, Cabramatta, Canley Heights and Canley Vale town centres
- Council's free environmental workshops program
- Fairfield Rural Lands UIA Community Update session
- Wonderful Wednesday at Fairfield City Centre
- One Stop Shop For Pets
- Operation Cat and June and July microchipping events
- Citizenship Ceremonies
- Fabulous Fairfield
- Flicker Fridays Autumn program
Leisure Centres CLOSED
- All locations including Fairfield, Cabravale, Prairiewood and Aquatopia are closed until further notice.
Open Libraries CLOSED
- All locations including Bonnyrigg, Fairfield, Smithfield, Wetherill Park and Whitlam are closed until further notice.
- You can access online resources through an Open Libraries' membership and it's all for free. There is so much on offer for all ages with ebooks including bestsellers or stream thousands of movies and documentaries, including tutorials in nearly every subject. Receive instant access to Open Libraries' digital collections by becoming a member for free at https://fairfieldcityopenlibraries.spydus.com/
Fairfield City Museum & Gallery CLOSED
Youth and Community Centre CLOSED
Fairfield Markets at Fairfield Showground temporarily CLOSED
Council's community halls and centres
- All casual hire has been suspended until further notice.
- Council is reviewing arrangements for all licenced and regular hirers that have not already cancelled their activities.
- Council will allow the continuation of essential voluntary or public services such as Meals on Wheels.
- Futsal courts are CLOSED.
- Suspension of all games, events and training.
Public playgrounds, outdoor gyms and skate parks CLOSED
- Limited to two people.
Council community buses
- Bus hirers have advised suspension of programmed activities.
- The service is currently suspended for new bookings.
- The City Connect free bus service is suspended.
Extra health measures at Council meetings
Council is implementing extra health measures at Council meetings for the health and safety of residents, visitors, councillors and staff. Social distancing measures will be in place at Council’s Public Forum and Council meetings from 24 March 2020.
If you would prefer not to attend for your health and safety, but wish to submit a question to the public forum, we will treat the question in the usual manner. You can submit your question as usual and provided it complies with Council’s requirements, it will be accepted, read out by staff at the Public Forum and actioned as if it was asked by you at the forum. Additionally, rather than personally attend, you can listen to the Council meeting live online here.