Occupation Certificates

An Occupation Certificate cannot be issued for the occupation or use of a new building more than 12 months after the date on which the building was first occupied or used.

Occupation Certificates are not required for exempt development.

Occupation Certificates allow:

  • a person to occupy and use a new building
  • change the use of an existing building approved by a Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate
  • change of use of a building where the building classification changes under the Building Code of Australia, that has been approved by either a Development Consent or a Complying Development Certificate.

An Occupation Certificate verifies that either the Council or a Private Certifier as the Principal Certifying Authority is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy and/or satisfies the relevant requirements of the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

The BCA is a code that sets the standards for the design and construction of various classes of buildings to maintain and protect public health, safety and amenity.

Interim Occupation Certificates

Allow start of either the occupation or use of a partially completed building, or the start of a new use of part of an existing building resulting from a change of use of the building.

Interim Occupation Certificates are not commonly issued. Where an Interim Occupation Certificate is issued, a Final Occupation Certificate is still required to be issued when all outstanding building work or the change of use is complete.

Final Occupation Certificate

Allow the start of either the occupation or use of a new building (including alterations/extensions) or the new use of an existing building resulting from a change in its use.

A Final Occupation Certificate supersedes any previously issued Occupation Certificates. A Final Occupation Certificate is generally required to ensure insurance coverage.