The Dutton Plaza development is delivering long-term financial sustainability with community benefits through the better use of its asset.
The new three-storey building provides retail and office space, community facilities and 275 car spaces, delivering new and improved facilities in Dutton Lane and for Cabramatta Town Centre.
The site also features a new public open space element on the eastern end, which is used for cultural, retail, business, tourism or entertainment activities.
Dutton Plaza is Fairfield Council’s first foray into a retail development and finished second in the Urban Design section of the 2017 NSW Architecture Awards in July 2017.
The council-owned building in Cabramatta was recgonised by Australia’s peak body for architects for its transformation and unique design features.
The judges were impressed with a range of elements of the building.
- The connectivity the Plaza brought to the surrounding buildings and area.
- The building fabric, particularly the thought process behind the selection of the colour and screen pattern for the facade.
- The fold-up doors integrating the retail space to the outdoor.
- The transformation of the old car park and its inherit traffic and vehicular problems.
- The fact that Council took an entrepreneurial role to build and retain the asset as an investment for the community to benefit.
The project was the 2017 Winner of the Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA) Awards for Excellence in Government Leadership.
Dutton Plaza has set a new benchmark for developments in the local area and continues to be a vibrant retail centre for everyone to enjoy.