New initiatives make library your window to the world
Published Monday, 17th September 2018
Fairfield City residents of all ages have free access to the world of entertainment and learning through a wide range of new initiatives at Fairfield City libraries.
Fairfield City Mayor Frank Carbone said the range of online offerings at our libraries has exploded exponentially in recent times.
“Fairfield City Libraries are at the forefront of providing access to thousands of free movies, books, audiobooks, magazines, songs and learning apps,” Mayor Carbone said.
“Library membership is free, so if you are not a member yet I encourage you to join now.”
Recent initiatives available now include:
- Kanopy video streaming – more than 30,000 free movies and documentaries from around the world for all ages in English and other languages. Residents select what they want to view on demand. www.fairfieldcity.kanopy.com/frontpage.
- Kobo e-readers – borrow an e-reader for six weeks to download thousands of books for holidays, the beach or relaxing at home.
- VOX books – the world’s first children’s audio book with audio built in that reads as each page is opened. No CD!
- Mango Languages – Learn one of 71 languages, including English, at home. www.mangolanguages.com
And soon to arrive:
- Kindle Fire tablet – borrow for six weeks to read e-books, e-magazines or watch movies.
- Marvel Comics – accessible online.
“If you’re not a member of our libraries, now is great time to join to take advantage of free movies, music and learning apps on the go, and all the other services on offer,” Mayor Carbone said.
Library membership is free and also gives members access to computers and
wi-fi in the library or attend some of the hundreds of workshops and events each year.
For more information on what’s available at our libraries visit www.fairfieldcity.nsw.gov.au.