2017 Australia Day Award winners announced
Published Wednesday, 25th January 2017
Community stalwart and Rotarian Roy Hilton has been named the 2017 Fairfield Citizen of The Year.
Mr Hilton, who has single-handedly raised more than $500,000 for community projects, was presented with the Community’s top Australia Day honour tonight.
Mayor of Fairfield City Frank Carbone presented four major awards to outstanding community members at the annual Australia Day Community Awards ceremony tonight at Council Chambers.
The winners were:
- Roy Hilton - Fairfield Citizen of The Year
- Fadi Aluboodi - Young Citizen of the Year
- Robert Ward - Volunteer of the Year, and
- Elisabeth Kidane - Sports Achiever of the Year:
Also recognised were award nominees, who received medallions or certificates in recognition of their contribution to the community:
- Citizen of the Year medallion recipient: Rowena Tran
- Citizen of the Year certificate recipients: Alan La, Amy Melville and Skikye Alyce Smith
- Young Citizen of the Year medallion recipient: Nelson Lim
- Young Citizen of the Year certificate recipients: Antonio Mu, Jesse Nguyen, Kelvin Tran and Michael Tran
- Volunteer of the Year medallion recipient: Rose Baxter
- Sports Achiever of the Year medallion recipient: Domenic Nascimben
Council also celebrated its 910th Citizenship Ceremony, welcoming nine new Australian citizens who pledged their loyalty to Australia and its people.
Mayor Carbone said the Australia Day Community Awards were held each year to recognise those dedicated to devoting their time to making our community a wonderful place to live.
“Their tireless and outstanding work is an inspiration to all,” he said. “They make our community a better place and they are also an excellent example for our new citizens.
“Community achievers often go about their work quietly and without fuss to help others, but I would like to publicly praise them on our special national day.
“I congratulate Roy Hilton, Fadi Aluboodi, Robert Ward and Elisabeth Kidane on their achievements.”