Smithfield Road Upgrade
- Project typeUpgrade of Smithfield Road between Elizabeth Drive and Polding Street.
The upgrade for Smithfield Road to a dual carriageway from Elizabeth Drive to Polding Street is now complete.
These $16.4 million in essential road upgrades are a win for thousands of drivers and commuters in Fairfield City, meaning more respite from time stuck in traffic and more time with families.
The upgrade included:
- Creating a 4-lane, 2-way carriageway along Smithfield Road, including widening to accommodate four (4) lanes;
- Road widening at Elizabeth Drive and providing an additional designated right turn lane onto Elizabeth Drive from Smithfield Road;
- Realignment of Richards Road and constructing a signalised intersection at the Fairfield Showground entry;
- Road widening on southbound lane of Smithfield Road to allow room for 4 lanes, 2- way carriageway at Richards Road;
- Road widening on southbound lane of Smithfield Road to allow room for 4 lanes, 2- way carriageway from Dunstan Street to Berry Street; and
- Utility relocation at Elizabeth Drive, Richards Road, Dunstan Street, Beavors Street and Berry Street.
In April 2014, the Australian Government, in partnership with the New South Wales Government, announced a 10-year road investment program of more than $3.6 billion for Western Sydney.
The Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan involves major road and transport linkages that will capitalise on the economic gains from developing an airport at Badgerys Creek.
This program includes a $200 million funding package for upgrades to locally important roads.
Smithfield Road between Elizabeth Drive and Polding Street, Fairfield West 2165 View Map