Microchipping, registration and desexing
Under the NSW Companion Animals Act 1998, all cat and dog owners must take two simple steps to register pets - microchipping and lifetime registration.
Customers can pay their pet's registration at Council or online, or visit the NSW Pet Registry. You can also update your details and create an online profile for the following:
- Change address or phone number or email address
- Transfer ownership of a pet
- Report a pet as missing
- Report a pet as deceased
- Pay online lifetime registration fees
The Pet Registry online address is www.petregistry.nsw.gov.au If you are unable to register your pet online via the NSW Pet Registry website please contact Council directly on 9725 0872 for assistance.
Desexing can be done by your local vet.
Discounted programs available through:
What happens if your pet is lost, hurt or stolen?
If your pet disappears you have a much greater chance of its return if it is microchipped and registered. If your pet is found and is microchipped, our Rangers will contact you and deliver your pet home. If you cannot be contacted for any reason, your pet will be impounded and taken to the Sydney Dogs and Cats Home in Carlton.
If your dog or cat is missing contact Council on 9725 0872 to check whether it has been impounded or call the Sydney Dogs and Cats Home on 9587 9611. You should also contact your local vet to see whether your pet has been handed in.
What should you do if you find a dog?
- Check for an identification tag. If the animal is wearing a name tag, phone the owner; or
- Take it to your local vet; or
- Contact Council to have the animal collected and scanned to see whether it has a microchip
- Ask around the neighbourhood to see if anyone has lost their dog
- You may also take the animal to the pound at Sydney Dogs and Cats Home
- If you can’t find the owner within a reasonable amount of time, you are required by law to contact Council or take the animal to the pound. Failure to do so can incur a fine. People who have lost their animal will check the pound, but they won’t find it in your back yard.
Discounted dog and cat services
Fairfield City Council provides various discounted pet services each year.
FREE Dog Microchipping
Saturday 23 June
Fairfield City Council Administration centre
86 Avoca Rd, Wakeley
Dogs must be on a lead and controlled by an adult. Bookings essential as places are limited.
To register, contact Josie on 9725 0872.
Monday 14 May to Friday 25 May
Pensioners and low income Fairfield City residents who own a cat can book during April to receive the following discounted services.
Desex and microchip (female) - $90
Desex and microchip (male) - $80
Desex only (female) - $80
Desex only (male) - $70
Microchipping only - $30
Bookings are essential as places are limited. This offer is only for pensioners and residents on a low income in the Fairfield Council area. Prices include pickup and return of your cat by a Cat Protection Welfare Officer.
To make a booking, contact the Cat Protection Society of NSW during April on 02 9519 7201.