Getting Approvals

Planning permission

Planning permission is needed if you want to:

  • Build something new
  • Make a major change, such as building an extension
  • Change the use of your building

More information on the Planning Process

You need building certification to check the work you're doing reaches the standards required under Council's standards and the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

A building certification is needed for:

  • A new building
  • An extension
  • Alterations to the structure of the building

More information on certification

Exempt and Complying Development

There are certain types of developments that may not require planning permission or can be undertaken as complying development.

Additional information relating to these development types is available from the NSW State Government.

NSW Department of Planning and Environment

Common types of enquiries 

You can also view a selection of information sheets for other development types.

Development Information Sheets