Council and People with Disability
Council is committed to continuous improvement practices to ensure inclusiveness, accessibility and opportunities for people with disability through: wellbeing programs, improving accessible infrastructure, action plan and policy that support the fundamental rights for people with disability in all aspects of life in our city.
Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2017
Fairfield City Council’s Disability Inclusion Action provides comprehensive details of how Council will ensure our City remains an inclusive and accessible place for everyone.
It meets the requirements of the NSW Government’s Disability Inclusion Act 2014, covering four key focus areas:
- Encouraging positive community attitudes and behaviours.
- Creating liveable communities.
- Supporting access to meaningful employment.
- Improving access to services through better systems and processes.
Events and Programs
As part of International Day of People with Disability, Council organizes disAbility Rocks! events in early December every year to increase awareness of disability issues in the community and to celebrate the ability and achievements of people with disability and disability services.
In 992 the United Nations General Assembly declared 3 December International day of People with Disability to promote equality and full participation of people with disability in the community.
Carers Week is national celebration of unpaid carers in the community. It is a time to take a break and get involved in community events that recognise the important role of carers in our society.
Fairfield City Council supports carers week through a number of events in partnership with community organisations.
For more information visit Carers NSW.
For more information about any of the above contact Council’s Community Project Officer, Aged and Disability at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 9725 0222.
Services and Initiatives
Disability Services Directory
- Local disability service provision has changed since the rolling over of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in Western Sydney.
- While there are still many Disability Services in the area listed in the Disability Services Directory, some are no longer available. There are also many new services available.
- For more information about Disability Services for people with permanent and significant disability visit the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) website.
- For more information about Disability Services and programs for people with a disability not eligible for NDIS, visit Ability Links website.
- For general information about disability issues, programs and events visit the South West Sydney Ageing and Disability Support Services website.
The SWS Ageing and Disability Forum providers an environment of mutual support, co-operation, networking and information share for disability service providers. It also provides an opportunity for these service providers to advocate/ lobby on issues of concern for the target group and jointly consider projects that will address these issues.
The Forum is open to all disability service providers, aged and carers services and Community Care Support Program service providers. Service providers are welcome to participate by invitation.
To be registered and to receive information about meetings, contact The Multicultural Network on 9791 9765 or visit www.supportservices.org.au
Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of alternative months for aged and disability from 8.45am (registration) for a 9am start. Venues rotate between the Bankstown, Fairfield and Liverpool areas every six months. For more information on our annual calendar of meetings, email Council’s Community Project Officer, Aged and Disability at email@example.com or call 9725 0222.
Fairfield City Council welcomes the participation of people with disability, their families and carers in our city programs and events, such as information sessions about NDIS, Seniors Week, Carers Week, Grandparents Day, International Day of People with Disability Expo and Celebrations.
NSW Department of Family and Community Services – Ageing, Disability and Home Care
National Disability Insurance Scheme – Federal Government Website
Disability Inclusion Action Plan
Multilingual Disability Hub – Information on disability and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in your language.