Hire our Parks or Sportsfields
Celebrate at one of the City’s parks and open spaces
The City’s parks and open spaces are great places to gather people, celebrate and have fun.
Things that you can do include:
- A theatrical, musical or other entertainment as part of a celebration for the public on community land.
- Construct a temporary enclosure for the purpose of entertainment.
- Play a musical instrument or sing on community land for fee or reward.
- Set up, operate or use a loudspeaker or sound amplifying device on community land.
- Deliver a public address or hold a religious service or a public meeting on community land.
If you are thinking of planning any of these activities in our parks or open spaces you will need to:
Step 1. Check that the venue is available by contacting Council's Customer Service Team on 02 9725 0222.
- Council's Facilities Team will contact you about availability of the park and any terms and conditions
- To secure the park or open space, a tentative booking will be made pending the local activity approval (see Step 2)
- Once your approval is obtained, a booking fee and refundable bond (pending satisfactory condition inspection) will apply.
Step 2. Obtain a Local Activity Approval depending upon what you want to do, so you should plan well ahead.
- Make sure to you lodge your application no less than 6 to 8 weeks before your event.
- Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 specifies a wide range of activities where approvals are required to be obtained from Council that include those listed above.
- Council is the only authority that can issue section 68 approvals.
How to lodge an application online
All applications are lodged electronically through the NSW Planning Portal by using your personal computer at work or at home.
Council has a self-serve kiosk at the Administration Centre and at branch libraries that you are able to use.
Council staff at the Administration Centre are available to assist you with the process of submitting your application.
To lodge your application, follow these steps:
Step 1. Register for a NSW Planning Portal account to start your application.
To help you, refer to this guide.
Step 2. Log in to complete the online application form.
If you are having difficulty using the Service, please contact the ePlanning support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may be required to submit further documents to support your application.
- If your application is incomplete, you will receive details from Council’s assessment officer regarding additional information required.
- Once your application is complete and accepted for lodgement on the NSW Planning portal, Council will contact you for payment of fees.
- Your application will not be considered as lodged until the application fees have been paid.
Hire a Sportsfield for the summer or winter seasons
Fairfield City Council provides 36 sportfields across the City, a significant asset and annual investment in sports and recreation for the community. Local schools rely upon the City’s sportfields for local students.
Two athletics fields at Makepeace Park in Fairfield and Rosford Park in Smithfield provide the City’s children and young people an opportunity to keep fit, develop skills and grow in their talents.
Hiring a sportsfield, whether use is disrupted by rain or not, is heavily subsidised to ensure:
- Annual surface renovation and maintenance work: aeration, topdressing, weed spraying, fertilising and turfing (September to March)
- Cleaning and maintenance of amenity buildings, car parks. watering systems and lighting
- Scheduled grass cutting and line marking to ensure the best playing conditions.
Two sportsfields are located on sites with a dual recreation/stormwater detention basin: Stockdale Park, Abbotsbury and Bosnjak Park, Edensor Park.The sportsfields in these parks are subject to being affected by flooding in periods of high rainfall and more disruption. Special consideration is given to hire fees with this dual use as sportfields.
When you breakdown the seasonal hiring fees, the fees are very affordable.
For example, a club of 50 members hiring a sportsfield with all week access for 26 weeks:
Season fee of $1,500, being:
- $58 weekly fee
- $1.15 per member.
While rain unfortunately disrupts use and enjoyment of the City’s sportsfields, the rain doesn’t reduce the maintenance cost. In some cases, maintenance costs increase particularly when damage has been done to playing fields.
Rainy seasons disrupt the income stream for many clubs, particularly reduced takings from canteen sales. While the request for discounts due to adverse weather is understood, the significant subsidy by the community already offers value for money compared to the cost of providing facilities.
Council relies on the season fees to help offset the cost of maintaining sportfields and associated infrastructure.
Do you want to hire a Sportsfield for the upcoming season?
You can do it online!
Before submitting your application, please ensure you have your insurance details with you.
You will need to upload a scanned copy of your Certificate of Currency with your application.
To submit your application, please follow the link below: